One of members is "a computer expert" and he / she says they can create a database for us and it won't cost us anything.
The above is a quote often heard.
Questions you should ask if you are tempted to go down this path
- Why?As there are a variety of programs available for cataloguing collections, why create another?
- How long has the person been a member of the society?
- Is the person likely to remain a member of the society?
- What will happen if the person leaves?
- Will there be assistance if something goes wrong?
- Does the person understand what is required for a database for cataloguing collections?
- Will it be possible to easily alter the datastructure, if required?
- Will it be possible to alter or create new search screens and report forms if required?
- Does the person understand how the society will use the database for searching?
- Can the records in the database be transferred into another database?